Saturday, January 3, 2009

Quest for the skinny jean..


For New Year's Eve, I got the idea in my head of wearing black skinny jeans - understated, yet dressier than plain blue denim. But where to go to find decent black skinnies without spending the money I want to save for NYE cover charges?
The first store I thought of was the Levi's flagship on Lex, since this brand has really come back with gusto, re-introducing classic styles as well as new ones in modern cuts and colors - while maintaining prices under $100. I tried on two skinny styles (the ultra low skinny and the medium skinny or something like that) and I was not pleased with either. The back pockets are not flattering, and they remind me of what a skinny version of mom jeans might look like.

My next stop was Bloomingdale's, since right now they are having sales on everything and the uptown store has a huge denim department. Upon arrival, I scoped out only the black skinnies on the discount racks, and came up with three pairs - William Rast, Seven for all Mankind, and Citizens of Humanity. I walked out with the William Rasts, since the waistband was forgiving, and they had enough stretch to accomodate my hips.

Overall, for skinnies, either black or dark wash, and especially ones on sale, go to Bloomingdale's. Sorry Levi's.

No comments:

Post a Comment